Catch up on stories from the past week (and beyond) at the Slashdot story archive


Forgot your password?

School Cancels Cash-For-Grades Fundraiser 7

A brilliant fundraiser at a Goldsboro, North Carolina middle school was stopped after school district administrators became concerned that it might not be a very good idea. Instead of selling candles, candy, or magazine subscriptions the middle school was selling grades. $20 would get you 10 extra credit points on two tests. Principal Susie Shepherd defended the practice, saying "Last year they did chocolates, and it didn't generate anything." I'm with Susie, bribery is something you want to ingrain in a child early.


This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.

School Cancels Cash-For-Grades Fundraiser

Comments Filter:
  • The amazing thing about this story is that nobody seems amazed. People are calmly explaining why Dr Swift's proposal was a poor one and should be discontinued.
  • Seems like the administrators here have done this class a favor and put these kids on the fast track to the US Congress.

    I wonder if the biggest "donor" (whoever purchased the most grades for the students) was awarded a Lobbying Certificate?

  • As the character Rod Tidwell says "SHOW ME THE MONEY!"
    Eventually all schools will be like the financial system, corrupt and full of embezzlers.

    • "Eventually all schools will be like the financial system, corrupt..."

      You have obviously never been hit up for a Dime bag by a teacher in Middle School, and haven't realized that corruption is all but omnipresent. The embezzlers aren't at the teacher level, but at the level of District officials. At least locally.

  • If the school just took a cut, allowed geeks to sell points to those with lower grades. Make a bigger incentive to do really well in school. Would want to set limits, wouldn't want a poor kid selling A's to the point of Failing or Failing kids getting A's.
    After all (in my opinion) 90% of the point of grading is incentive, the other 10% is probably labeling who are successful...

    • by tacarat ( 696339 )
      Or there could be a reverse sale on grades. "Hate that kid? Get them held back a year! $100 for an F, $50 for a D-. Ensure your place in the upcoming scholarship shuffle by eliminating the competition!". You know there would be some serious cash being spent by those with parents who want little Timmy to be Valedictorian.

"We don't care. We don't have to. We're the Phone Company."